1. God will continue to build our launch team to move over to Japan for the upcoming church plant.
2. As we plan to head back in two months to Tokyo, pray that all the final plans come together, support is raised (need only 9% more), and that God goes ahead of us preparing hearts and lives that we will work with and serve.
3. Pray for the three families currently seeking to move with us. They have applied for or are looking for jobs and research positions in Tokyo. Pray that God opens doors for them to join us on this journey.
1) Success in continual rescue effort and quick relief for the people in the tsunami stricken areas (especially north eastern Japan).
2) The whole Eastern Japan is shaking both physically and emotionally. The original earthquake is triggering other (large) earthquakes in various areas in Eastern Japan. We need peace of mind, courage, strength.
3) There has been chaos. In most grocery stores, all sorts of basic food is out of stock: rice, water, bread, milk, etc. Gas stations are out of gas as well. The trains are not running normally. Please pray for quick recovery of order.
4) Stability in the nuclear plants and prevention of the spread of radiation; 5) God may use this time to turn people to Himself. This is a very surreal experience. I’ve never felt this unsafe in this country. Your prayer is much much appreciated! Thank you!
March 15, 2011
1. As we start our ministry here in Japan, like the language cafe and young adult ministry, please pray that the Lord will guide our path and initiatives, as well as the right people to join us.
2. Pleas pray for Miho’s sermon preparation as she preaches on November 21st.
3. Please pray for Grant’s language study. He attends Tuesday-Fridays from 9:30-1pm. Though he is vastly improving, it is still very tiring and challenging.
4. Please pray for Grant’s family and mom, in particular. She is recovering from her 3rd-degree burn and stroke in Des Moines, Iowa. She is undergoing rehab but is unable to walk or move her left side due to the stroke. Pray for her recovery and protection until the next surgery for her clogged artery in her neck, which has been pushed back a few months now.
November 6, 2010
1. Please pray for Miho’s immigration appointment to take place soon. We cannot leave the US without this appointment.
2. Please pray for the rest of support raising. We are now at 93%.
3. Please pray for protection and health of all three of us.
August 29, 2010
1. For the next 2-3 months, we have a lot of legal issues to take care of, from Grant’s visa to the baby’s passport(s) and Miho’s reentry permit. Please pray for a smooth process and for our patience, as it can be very frustrating to deal with the bureaucracy. Please pray for our trust and peace in God, as these things are outside of our control.
2. Please continuously pray for the safety and protection of Miho and the baby, as she will be born in about a month!
3. Please pray for Grant’s study. He is trying to finish up his dissertation before the arrival of the baby. We want this to be helpful to our future ministry as well as to other pastors in Japan in knowing how to effectively preach to different people in congregations.
4. Please continuously pray for our support raising, as we are in the final stage.
May 15, 2010
1. We now know the church of service (Tsurumi Covenant Church in Yokohama). Please pray that we can have meaningful and strategic conversations with the pastor to best prepare for our arrival and ministry there.
2. Please pray for our continual support raising, as we are currently at 73% of our target.
3. Pray for the health and development of the baby. Miho is almost 29 weeks pregnant and in the 3rd trimester.
4. Pray for Miho’s father who has recently accepted Christ and is getting baptized on Easter morning. Please pray that this will be a chance for him to witness to the rest of the family, as well as a time of growth in his new faith.
April 1, 2010
1. As we continue our dialogue with the Covenant Missionary Committee of Japan (a group of ECC missionaries in Japan) as well as the Evangelism Committee (a group of pastors from Japan Covenant Church and couple of ECC missionaries) to determine the church of service, please continually pray for discernment and God’s guidance.
2. Please continually pray for the rest of our support raising for Japan Mission.
3. Please continually pray for the health and protection of Miho and the baby girl in her womb. She is now 23 weeks and the due date will be around June 17.
4. Please pray for Grant’s endurance in Barcelona Marathon on March 7, as he will be running to raise money for One Day’s Wage for their cause to bring relief to people in Haiti. Please also pray for successful fund raising.
February 21, 2010
1. We had a very fruitful time in Japan, having visited seven Japan Covenant churches and attended four meetings with Japan Covenant pastors and ECC missionaries. In addition, we were able to attend a Sunday service at Miho’s home church and had a wonderful meeting with the pastoral team there. As we further reflect on each of our seven church visits and discuss our preference regarding our future church of service, please continually pray for God’s guidance, wisdom, and discernment.
2. Please continually pray for the rest of our support raising so that we can move to Japan in August after having a baby in Scotland.
3. Please pray for health and protection of the baby and Miho as she is now 19 weeks pregnant.
January 23, 2010
1. Thanks to your prayer, Miho is now 14 weeks pregnant. Please continue to pray for her health, as well as the baby’s, especially with a big trip coming up.
2. Please pray for discernment, guidance, and open doors as we visit at least 10 Japan Covenant churches in the Tokyo-Yokohama area and as we talk with the evangelism committee who make decisions about missionary placement.
3. Pray for a great time with Miho’s family over New Year’s. It has been a year and a half since we’ve seen her family.
4. Pray also for Grant’s research, as he now works on his second chapter. He will be taking a number of books with him on this trip. Pray that he will have time to work amidst all our visits and meetings.
December 20, 2009
1. As we are planning on visiting Japan in January for another vision trip to determine which exact Japan Covenant church to work with, please pray for financial provision and good air plane ticket prices to make this trip possible. Please also pray for a fruitful time in Japan.
2. Please continue to pray for our support raising for the Japan Mission and that God would give us energy to carry it on and our prospective partners would respond to God’s calling.
3. Please pray for Grant’s research project. He must finish the first chapter of his thesis in two weeks. Please pray that his project will be beneficial for the future Japan missions.
November 29, 2009
1. Thanks to your prayers, we have found a church that is going to be our home for the next 8 months. Please pray that we can continue to get to know the people and use our gifts to serve the church.
2. Because of the horrible exchange rate between dollars and pounds, the scholarship Grant received is not going to go as far as we hoped it to go. Since we need more income to pay for our bills, please pray that God would provide us jobs. For Grant, possibly preaching at various Scottish churches. For Miho, it could be more translation projects or a second job.
3. Please pray continually that Miho would get pregnant.
October 7, 2009
1. Although we have settled into Edinburgh for the most part, we still need to find a church that best suits us. We visited 3 churches last Sunday and we had a great feeling about one of them. Please pray that we can finalize the church which will be our home for the next 8 months.
2. Through the student orientation, we have been introduced to a few other students, but we need more friends. Please pray that as we settle in a church, we can make good friends with others whether Scottish or internationals.
3. Aside from Grant’s studies, we are looking into opportunites to grow in different areas, such as languages. Grant wants to take a Japanese class to better prepare for Japan, and Miho wants to take some Hebrew or Aramaic classes at the Univerity of Edinburgh. Please pray that God might open doors to such opportunities so that we can fully take advantage of our circumstance.
4. Please also pray for our pregnancy.
September 22, 2009
1. As we will be speaking at various churches throughout August, please pray that we are able to be used as instruments to inspire people about missions and to create partnerships.
2. Please pray for our support raising that God will provide for all of our needs. We are now around 40% of our target.
3. Please pray for a strong finish at youth group and a smooth transition to the new youth pastor.
August 5, 2009
1. As we are going to be commissioned by the denomination in Portland, Oregon on June 25, please pray for a blessed time networking with other ECC missionaries and pastors.
2. As we are also going to visit Seattle to connect with churches and individuals, please pray for a fruitful time developing relationships and partnerships for Japan Missions.
3. Because of our intense schedule, we’ve been tired. Please pray for physical, emotional, and spiritual protection.
June 22, 2009
1. Blessings on the missions training which lasts until Friday, June 12.
2. Humble attitude and flexible mind as we think more about God’s Mission.
3. Protection and health as we have both been sick since we arrived in Chicago.
4. Bonding experience with other missionaries and staff from the Covenant World Missions office.
5. Blessings upon our time with friends and supporters in Chicago as well as in Des Moines.
June 10, 2009